It is extraordinary the amount of patience I have found within myself now that I have allowed my ADD more free play and quit fighting her so much. OCD would have never been able to pull off the camping trip with my boys that I just completed without a complete breakdown. OCD had a little temper tantrum when trying to pack up before checkout time, but that's progress. Next time I'll be aware that they do allow late checkouts....
The real test for me came when I got back and there was some discussion with the boys' father regarding changing some custody dates for 2010. OCD has really had to give way with this while divorce situation, because it can't be fixed, wrongs can't be righted, and sometimes you just have to shrug and let people think what they wish to think. But there are times, when someone in the background is screaming and calling you a liar, that it's really, really tough to show grace.
The blessing of the past year and a half for me is that letting my little ADD side run free allows me to forget and let go of the insults and unreasonableness and just do my thing. Sure, OCD wanted to ruminate last night, go over what was said to me, and think about what ugly hateful things I wish I had said in return. That's where grace comes in - I have to ask for it, and the ability to let it go doesn't come from me or my ADD but from God alone. But he always grants it, so long as I stand out of the way. (The ADD really helps a lot with that last bit.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment