We surprised everyone by getting married nearly four weeks ago - on my lunch hour. My parents knew ahead of time, and that's about it. It was at once the most practical thing I've ever done and the most romantic. Just me, him, and the sweet little preacher who apparently hangs around the courthouse waiting on couples. Take that, OCD....no chance to stress out! ADD thought, of course, that the whole thing was completely fabulous. OCD will get her day when we get together with the preacher in the coming year and plan a public pledging and a party for all those we love. Provided I can keep the perfectionism at bay, but that battle, I'm winning for the most part.
Married life is a new adventure for both of us. It's not like we've not "done this before," but in many ways, we haven't done this before. It's not without challenges, of course, but truly, it's a pure joy each morning waking up and thinking, wow, I have everything I've ever wanted, right here. And the hilarious thing is, I didn't know I wanted it. But God knew, and delivered on His promise to me, whispered in the darkest days of my grief and loss. He truly does use all things for our good. Long before we met, God was preparing Tim and me for each other, and when the time was right, brought us together.
I should have taken a picture of the sump pump assembly that we put together. Together we make about 3/4 of a competent handyman. Well, maybe 1/2 of one! But, we purchased the pump, compared it to the old one, took the old assembly to Home Depot and talked to the plumbing guy, bought the supplies, and came home and dry fitted it. ADD had lots of fun with this one. OCD was terrified of the final step: cementing all this in place and doing the final installation. ADD took her in hand and said "JUST DO IT!!!" and so 15 minutes later all was in place and the pump was merrily pumping out the foundation water. And I wondered, "what the heck took me so long to face this dragon?"
The answer, of course, was my own personal cheerleader - the one I didn't even know I needed. The one who teases OCD out of her funks and helps steer ADD back on course, and doesn't even realize what he's doing. It's true, I had grown and changed so much before we met, that he's not responsible for this person I've become. But I sense that he's making the journey toward my balance shorter and the process easier, and that's awfully nice for both of us.
No comments:
Post a Comment