Winter in East Tennessee is always interesting; one never knows whether it's going to be cold, wet, dry, gray, or sunshine, or in what combination, let alone the temperature. The last few weeks have been rainy, then cold and rainy, then snow, then mild temperatures, culminating in an ice storm Friday, the likes of which we have not seen in a while.
I learned in the midafternoon on Friday that TN State Trooper Mike Slagle died in a strange accident Friday morning. Mike worked in our building and was the court guard for the TN Supreme Court and the Appellate courts. I didn't know him well, but he always had a kind smile and said hello when I passed him in the hallway or saw him outside. My heart hurt for his family and I was reminded anew of how fragile and short life can be, and how you never, ever know when you will say goodbye to your loved ones for the last time.
Fittingly, and as it always does, the sun shone today, bright and lovely, and the weather warmed as if yesterday's ice and treacherous travel had never been. Today I worked in my son's room, culling out unneeded clothes to take to charity and straightening up his room. Tim hung the blinds that have been waiting in the closet for months, and together we cleaned the salamander's tank and moved him into the living room for everyone to enjoy. After a good morning's work, we ran errands and picked up my stepdaughter for a visit. I'm reminded again of how fortunate I am to have a wonderful family and be breathing today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment