I never thought much about golf since no one in my family plays. I hung out with the guys on the golf team in high school, but it's not a sport that you show up for games, so I never learned much about it. I knew a birdie was good, and par was what you wanted to be under, but the latter came mainly from putt-putt. (I did always enjoy a good game of putt-putt.) I in fact took pleasure in a sort of snobbery about golf, it was that expensive hobby that people did only for show and to network, to have something to do with business associates and to fit in with the right sort of crowd. Because yes, I know people who do that. So of course, that meant everybody. Right?
So, God in his usual wisdom sends me what I need. What's that, you say? Of course, it's a man who likes golf! And said man is taking some pleasure, it seems, in explaining the game to me, and in fact feels that golf is a metaphor for life. You keep your own score, you're responsible for not cheating, you improve by lots of practice, you can't blame the referee, and consistency is key. True enough. I can't help but agree. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, though, at my growing interest - aren't the Scots big on golf? Must be the blood coming out.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment